There will be times when everything appears to be going wrong, and there seems no hope for anything. We seem justified in being demotivated and being negative about everything. There seems to be no way out. How can we stay motivated and sail through this difficult phase of life?
“When the going gets tough, the tough get going”, is a well-known saying. The habits that make these people tough and help them stay motivated during the tough times are listed here:
- Determination to make things better–When you are determined, you look for possibilities.Remember that unless you want to make things better, nothing and nobody else can do it for you. It is you who can choose to either give up or work hard to make your life better.
- Resilience to bounce back – When you are down under,remember that there is always a way upwards. You have to only find it.Be resilient to find this way through all the obstacles.
- Being positive – Look at all the things that are going well. Count all the blessings in your life.Having a supportive family and friends, a house to live and food to eat, there are lots of things to be grateful for. Being grateful, will fill you with positive energy and help you stay motivated.
- Being hopeful – Know that ‘This too shall pass”. Nothing is permanent. See difficult times as opportunities for growth. Build your inner strength to deal with them. Learn new skills or a new approach. Remember the difficult times that you have survived in the past. Expect the best.
- Being flexible – Choose a new approach over what is not working. You can always think of new ways to achieve your goals.
- Be Forgiving – Forgive yourself for your mistakes and the things that you could have done and did not do. Learn from your mistakes, know what is not working and take corrective steps.
- Perseverance – Persevere through the roadblocks, stay focused and ready to face the challenges.
- Make a plan to succeed – ‘If you fail to plan, you plan to fail’. Take one step at a time, celebrate your small achievements. This will motivate you to keep going.
- Build your support system – Surround yourself with positive, up-lifting people who trust you and want you to succeed. Negative people and conversations will take your focus off of your goals. Seek out positive people and don’t engage in negative conversations.
- Take good care of your health – If necessary, take a break and rejuvenate yourself. This will de-clutter your mind and boost your problem-solving ability.